Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A blouse I designed


This started out as a square-necked top with a plain front. I took the front pattern piece, copied it, then drew a line from the bottom of the neck to the hem. Then I cut the extra piece away. I added extra seam allowance to each of the two pieces I now had. I doubled the length of the long, middle piece, then shirred it up to fit the side front pieces. For the record, shirring is just long gathers. Being sorta frugal, I made a mockup of the original blouse in cheap muslin. I am tired of all the work and money I put into sewing garments only to find they don't fit me. Better to make something first with $2/yard fabric, and do any alterations, before cutting up the good stuff! Well, this isn't really 'good stuff.' I bought it on clearance, LOL!

5 comments:

Ms. Kathleen said...

I love it! It looks so nice and comfy and springy and is a great color to go with about anything. Dress it up or down. Clever!

Theresa said...

Just was at RocksinmyDryer and saw your comment. Nice blouse. Do you give sewing lessons?

Theresa said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Where in LI are you? I'm in Ronkonkoma.

amy@flexibledreams said...

I too am sick of throwing away half-finished (or worse, totally completed) projects because I've taken the seems out so many times the fabric is ruined. I LOVE the clearance rack at JoAnn's. I'm constantly stocking up on remnants that I don't have to feel bad about trashing... now, if I could only find a way to stock up on time.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

oh it's lovely. My MIL always does mock ups too.. it's been a good thing since most needed twidlling :)