Friday, February 16, 2007

Sale, or not?

This morning I got an e-mail from a sewing pattern company. It is a reliable one from which I've bought patterns before. So I was excited when I saw "All Butterick Patterns 5.99." I went to the site and chose 3 cute patterns for children's outfits.
And then I got to thinking...what about shipping charges? The regular Butterick site doesn't charge shipping in the USA (and Canada, I think). Would the sale price make up for the shipping charges?
So I opened up my calculator and did some math. My three patterns, including shipping would be $24. 32 from the first site. Same three patterns from the mfr's site...$20.13. This does not include sales tax, of course, but I assume it would be the same for either site--or at least close. Well, there's a savings of a little over $4, at least.
And speaking of shipping deals. Sometimes, a site wants you to spend X dollars to get free shipping. This is great if you're really in the market for X dollars worth of stuff. I needed some muslin and some white cardstock, which I bought from Joann's. In order to qualify for free shipping, I would have had to spend almost $20 more...to save about $7. So, needless to say, I paid the shipping.
It's all a math game, but in the end, the idea is to keep as much in your pocket as possible.

3 comments:

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I have found similar offers before. When I compare, I end up better off without the so-called sale.

And, I know which commerical about dinner you are talking about. It bugs me,too. Not only are they shocked they are eating dinner, but that they are eating together- as a family. That is the norm for our house.

Mom2fur said...

I think eating as a family is vital, especially when the kids are young. We only do it now when we go out to a restaurant, because my 3 oldest are adults with jobs or college schedules. We never seem to all be here at dinner time, so our dinners out (which, alas, happen about 3 times a year) are very special. Even so...at least half of the week my kids have a real meal to eat, even if it's at 8 o'clock, after work or school! (I admit some nights the line is, 'if you can find it, you can have it'--which mostly means leftovers. Sometimes, mom isn't in the mood to cook. But every night? I don't know what planet KFC is living on!)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Gosh doesn't that burn? I also hate it when a product in in the flyer at REGULAR price! Grrrr.

I've also recently read that grocery stores put smaller tiles in the lanes with more expensive items so that the clicking noises make you think you're going through faster than you really are.. I haven't checked this one out yet tho.