Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

It's Thrifty Thursday day over at Thrifty Jinxy!
http://thriftyjinxy.blogspot.com/2009/02/thrifty-thursday-living-on-cheap-feb-5.html

My little donation today is just this: when it comes to being frugal, it doesn't have to be all or nothing!

You don't have to spend an entire Sunday doing the Once a Month Cooking thing. Every little bit you do ahead of time will help you. Examples: brown ground beef and repackage it according to how much you would need for a meal. Then freeze it! You could even add Italian, Mexican or other spices! Can I tell you how great it was to have my ground beef all ready to go last night for spaghetti, especially since I found out earlier in the day I was working in the evening?

Cut up your vegetables when you bring them home (or soon after). Don't cut and wash berries--you probably already know this, but wet berries get all gooky. Nothing like reaching into the produce drawer to make a salad...and all you have to do is throw it together!

I love couponing and spend quite a lot of time on it, but I consider it a hobby that pays me back. You don't have to do this. Think what you would really like to save money on, and concentrate on those items--diapers, for example! (I'm awfully glad I haven't had to buy diapers in years.) We all use shaving products, and the very-high-value coupons for them show up quite often. It is great to get a 9.99 razor for half price by combining sales and coupons--especially if you also get Extra Care Bucks from CVS, LOL!

Speaking of CVS, I've written about this before but it bears repeating. If there is one rule to remember for the ECBs thing, it is this: look at your receipt after each purchase and immediately put the coupons into your wallet! That way, they are there for you next time you shop, not left on the kitchen counter.

Just a couple of little things, but boy, oh, boy, they make life easier!

(BTW, if you like the OAMC on Sunday thing, cool--but I actually like cooking and wouldn't want to do it all in one day. I do, however, like to have some things made ahead of time for those days I'm just not in the mood to put a meal together!)

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love all your thrift tips, Clare. This is a good one. I do it sometimes.

momstheword said...

I have always wanted to do the OAMC but just can't bring myself to try it. I do like to double meals occasionally so that I have two or three frozen meals (or soups) in the freezer.

Audra Krell said...

Great advice on the coupons, to not go for everything but to focus on what you really use! I love it! I definitely want to get in touch with you about your writing. I'm so proud of you for sitting down and doing it - you are ahead of me right now! I'm crazy busy, getting ready for the Writing for the Soul conference in Colorado Springs. I'll definitely be in touch though!

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi Clare
I used to do the OAMC thing when the kids were at home. Really saved my backside during the work week! Now and then I think about doing it again but suddenly do not have the time I used to.
Always blessed,
Blondie

Laura said...

Amen! This is exactly the direction I try to encourage my girlfriends in -- you don't have to do it all, but every little bit helps. For example, I'm not a huge coupon-er, but I bake all my own bread and make my own shampoo, lotion, laundry detergent, cleaning products, etc. So I save money without having to wrangle coupons which just stress me out.

(Oh, and I LOVE the title of your blog!! *grins and cackles* Love, love, love.) :)