Friday, August 29, 2008

Sew Crafty Friday



Shereen's hosting Sew Crafty Friday, but she just had a root canal! So go on over there and send her some best wishes, okay? (See my sidebar: "Waiting for Him" is the blog.) Take it from someone who has had nine of them...NOT fun!


Here is my donation today. I bought the sweater fabric on clearance for about $2 a yard. This was made with the versatile "Lydia" pattern from the Burdastyle website. Remember, there are lots of free patterns there! I love the "Lydia" top because it's basically a t-shirt and that means no buttons or zippers.

The ruffle is made from a fat quarter. I wanted to do something around the neckline, but not the same old-same old. I saw the fat quarter in my stash and had one of those craft 'ah-ha' moments. So I tore it in strips about 2 inches wide, sewed the strips together, doubled them over and gathered it up. This is not done of the bias. A fat quarter wouldn't be big enough. But, as you can see by the scoop neckline, 'stretch' isn't necessary here.

Don't look too close at the finishing in the second picture. That's just there for a closeup of the ruffle. It was a little hard to bind the neckline and some of the knit 'escaped.' I did a fancy topstitch over it. Frankly, nobody's gonna get that close to the top, anyway...unless they want a poke in the nose.
So, one top down for the fall!

7 comments:

Debbie J said...

I never knew you could buy sweater fabric. I love your resourcefulness and your ahaH!moment's work. It looks great and you will look so pretty in it when the weather cools down. That's my kind of pattern too, no zippers or button holes to deal with.

I'm starting a new baby quilt this weekend for my nephew and wife's baby shower. The shower is 9-27-08, so its got to be an easy one, and machine quilted. I've got weekend quilt books, but I just don't see it happening in a weekend! I've absolutely got to get a camera. I just can't function with out one. LOL

Good job on your sew crafty friday project!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Pretty new header, and pretty new sweater. (Now I'm a poet.)

Becky said...

I like the sweater version of Lydia! And the pleated ruffle at the neck is a nice touch.

I find Stella rather likeable too, oddly. I guess I kind of feel for her, being the biker rock chick trying to make it in the world of high fashion!

momawake said...

That's a fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

kelly said...

awesome! love the header!

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea! I would not have thought of the ruffled neckline, but that really adds to the look. Also, I didn't know about the Burda website. I'm off for a look.

Mandy said...

Thats a really nice top. I do like the way you added that ruffled edge.