Saturday, May 27, 2006

My spelling pet peeve

Once again, I just read something where the writer confuses 'loose' and 'lose.' Okay, I know this isn't a frugal tip. It's just something that drives me bat-shinola because I see it every single day. I can understand seeing it in e-mails (although it makes me cringe) but to see an actual writer mess it up...well, that's inexcusable. Wrong: "I am loosing my mind." Well, not unless you opened up your skull and gave your brain more room to move around. Wrong: "He's such a looser." So far as I know, 'looser' is not a noun*. I honestly looked the words up in the dictionary. I figured I was seeing this so often that maybe I was mistaken. But I'm not. Somewhere along the line, people decided 'loose' and 'lose' were interchangeable. "Lose" refers to the loss of something. "Loose" is when something is too big. "I want to lose weight so my pants will be loose." Too big--extra--extra letter--extra "o"=loose. If you lose the "o" in loose, you get lose. Okay, enough Saturday morning ranting. I just wanted to get my humble, but correct, opinion out there. It isn't profound or all that important in the big picture of things...but it's those little things that really make our quality of life. If that wasn't so...we wouldn't consider saving $1 with a coupon all that important. *BTW--the noun version of "loose" is "looseness."

1 comment:

Mom2fur said...

I think the reason I notice, Janice, is that I'm a writer and I have been an editor. I guess I see it because (subconsciously) I'm looking for it, LOL! It's just a pet peeve of mine.
I'm all ready for Tuesday, although I'll probably have it ready a day early because I have to be at work at 9:30 a.m. So I'll probably tackle my freezer today.