Thursday, August 17, 2006

Adaptation

My weekly menu plan never quite flies exactly the way it is written. The buttermilk chicken tenders I was making on Tuesday turned into a Mexican dinner. My daughter had called to say she was bringing home the provisions to make salsa and quesadillas. So I never made the scalloped apples or the biscuits. I fried up the chicken tenders, but we wrapped them in the quesadillas with the salsa. Oh...my...heavens. It was goooooood. Next time you make crispy, boneless chicken, have it that same way. You'll be amazed.
The funny thing is that I have the dry ingredients for the biscuits in a plastic bag, all ready to go for another day. The apples are still waiting, too. I'll have to aim to use them tomorrow night. Tonight we're celebrating back-to-school with a trip to our favorite restaurant, "Catfish Annie's." Which got me thinking why I'd make seafood tomorrow night, too. So...the biscuits and apples will be made to go with something else. Maybe just a simple steak on the barbecue.
Last night I was planning to make turkey cutlets in lemon sauce. I dont' make turkey often and I had no idea it isn't all that readily available this time of year. But I found turkey burgers which were on sale for a good price. So I used those instead and we had them on bagels with the lemon sauce.
I'm glad to have a day off from work where I'm also not cooking, because I have a lot to catch up with. I'm sitting here with "Excellence by L'Oreal" all over my head. I have to finish laundry. We had a new window put in the laundry room that had to dry before the vent could be reattached, so I have been 'sans dryer' for 2 days. I have to get to the post office and mail off a book proposal. That is...if the guy who is supposed to fix the broken door on my dishwasher shows up before the day is over.

3 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Isn't life just like that tho? Things just don't seem to really go the way you planned... I like having the menu (even though it only gets followed about half the time) just because it's nice to have that option for dinner.. but again, life just seems to have a way of getting in the way sometimes.

Have a great one :)

Julie

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

book proposal? Are you writing something?

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

M2F-At the bottom of each of my posts I have a link that says "email me". You can go ahead and drop me a line. . . .