Friday, October 31, 2008

Two Frugal Thoughts

Edited to join "Financially Free Friday" over at "Not So Perfect." Here's the link!
http://weightingforperfection.blogspot.com/2008/10/financially-free-friday_31.html


First thought: generic packaging that looks almost exactly like the brand name stuff is annoying. Really annoying. Almost as annoying as the little sales stickers they put right under the generic stuff when what you want is the real thing. You need the 'real thing' to get your ECBs back at CVS.

Can you tell I picked up generic 'Nyquil' and didn't realize it until after my transaction was finished and there was no ECB? It was a ten-minute production to get it straightened out, but I think that's because the guy behind the register was inexperienced. (And I'm talking about a man pushing 60, not some kid.) I got the money back in cash, and I'm still not 100% sure I wasn't stiffed somehow.

Warning: Take a good look at what you pick up off the shelf--pay no attention to little yellow stickers on the edge!

You can also imagine how p*s*ed I was when he insisted I gave him a five, not a twenty. ("I gave you a twenty. I don't HAVE any fives.") Thank goodness, he put that twenty in with the fives.

Second thought: while I'm so happy I have a well-stocked pantry, it's been a while since I even looked at the price of mayo and I almost had a heart attack when I saw Walgreen's had it on sale at 2 for 5.99--half price. Mayo is up to 5.99 now???? Okay, maybe Walgreen's is pricey, but I think I'd better start working on a little price book again. Last I paid for mayo, it cost me about $2 with a coupon. I know prices are going up, but this is ridiculous. What kind of eggs are they using for the stuff--golden ones from that famous goose? I sure think I'm going to treat my last jar and a half of mayo like gold!

7 comments:

Corrie at "Cents"able Momma said...

I know what you mean about the packages looking the same. I was looking at baby aspirin, and CVS even had packaging that looked the same for all the brands of aspirin...so multiple packages of CVS brand to fool us into picking them up :-). Of course, in this case, I wanted the CVS brand...but then I had to make the decision of which one :-).

Debbie J said...

The stores are out to keep us from getting any bargains and I say take advantage of any offer they make. They use them to get us in the store and hope we'll spend, spend, spend. We have to outsmart them!

Mom2fur said...

Debbie J and Corrie, it was a lesson well learned--I'll be much more vigilant!
I have no problem with stores enticing us to come in and buy things. That's what they exist to do--make money. I just don't like having to take an extra step out of my already busy life to have to double-check things!

Becky said...

Wow... maybe it's a good thing I don't really care for mayo!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!

I had a similar experience at Dillion's last week. They had grapes on sale for $1 lb. When I got home (which was a 40 min drive) and got to looking at my reciept because I thought my total was high they charged me $3.99 a lb!!! Needless to say I was not happy, even more unhappier after I called the store and asked to speak to the manager (yes, I was that mad). After explaining the situation he said,"oh you must have bought the green grapes". Those are $3.99 the black grapes were $1. There is a sign below stating that.

They should not mix items with different prices and have a large sign exclaiming the price of $1 and not being specific about what is a dollar and what isn't!

Yes, they can be sneeky. This just teaches me to be more watchful!

To make this story even worse they rang up 6 extra cans of soup on my receipt!

Thanks for letting me vent. ha.

I totally enjoyed your post. :)

Tara said...

That has happened to me many times.. where the packaging looks soo similar.

And you are right about the cost of food.. its really unbelievable at times.. but I have found it YO YO's .. I mean milk here has gone from almost 4 dollars back down to 2.73 its weird.

Thanks for linking up to my blog.. nice to have someone involved lol :)

Leah said...

As far as mayo goes, you can make your own really cheaply (and it tastes better...). All you need is a blender, an egg yolk, some veggie oil, and a little vinegar or lemon juice.